If the extra fat under your chin is making you unhappy, but the thought of surgery fills you with anxiety, you may want to consider Kybella injectable treatment. Since gaining FDA approval, Kybella has become a welcome non-surgical option for the treatment of a double chin, as it is the only solution of its kind. But how exactly is the procedure done, and what are the benefits of Kybella injections.
What is Kybella?
Kybella is a fat-dissolving injectable treatment for fat under the chin, known medically as submental fullness. Deoxycholic acid is the active ingredient in Kybella. It is a natural molecule that is found in the body, and aids in the digestion of fat.
Kybella improves the chin profile, by eliminating the extra fat under the chin that makes the face appear older and heavier. A double chin is characterized by the collection of fat deposits under the chin, above the area of the neck muscles. The problem may be caused by several factors including aging, weight gain, or genetics.
Kybella is a simple treatment that takes about 15 minutes to perform. It isinjected into the fat below the chin using a very small needle. A single session will consist of several injections. When injected into the subcutaneous fat, Kybella disrupts the membranes of the cells, and the fat is released. The fat is then removed by the body.
It typically takes 4-6 treatments spaced about 4 weeks apart, to achieve the desired results with Kybella. However, this may vary, as your physician will tailor a plan for you, depending on the amount of fat that needs to be treated.
What to expect
Minor discomfort is to be expected during treatment. There is generally some swelling, bruising, and redness after the injections, which may persist for 3-7 days. Once the fat cells are treated they are no longer able to store fat, so the results gained are permanent. Results will be visible within 4-6 weeks of treatment.
What are the risks?
Some serious risks are possible if the right amount of Kybella is not injected at the correct location. As a result, patients should make sure that they have the injections done by a qualified board certified physician,who has received training in the injection protocols.
The injector should also have knowledge of the anatomy of the face and neck, and be able to properly mark the treatment area before treatment.This is very important, because Kybella must only be injected into the subcutaneous fat beneath the chin, so as to avoid any glandular or nerve damage.
Are you a good candidate?
Patient selection is important in achieving success with Kybella. Candidates for treatment should have isolated pockets of submental fat, along with minimal skin laxity. Kybella is not recommended for individuals who need to lose weight.
- Patients now have a non-surgical option to reduce submental fat, and no longer have to opt for liposuction or surgery. These treatments are not always successful, and there is the possibility of scarring.
- Kybella injections can be performedquickly. Treatment takes only 15 minutes, which means that it can be conveniently done during your lunch hour.
- There is no downtime with Kybella, so you can immediately return to your normal routine. It is therefore the ideal option for individuals that don't have the time to undergo a cosmetic procedure that has a long recovery period.
- In the hands of an experienced injector, Kybella is a very safe solution for your double chin.
- Kybella produces permanent, long lasting results. The fat cells that are broken down are no longer able to store fat.
- Kybella treatment involves a course of injections, and this makes it possible for the physician to assess your results, and determine if additional sessions are needed.
- No anesthesia is required, so there are none of the risks associated with the use of general anesthesia.